From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:43:04
1 On Friday 06 August 2004 12:10, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 04 August 2004 10:28 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > As for gcc slotting the cross-compiler, I don't think it's necessary nor
4 > > has any bareing on cross-compilation. Having gcc respond to architecture
5 > > USE flags (prepended with cc- if necessary) and building the
6 > > cross-compilers in the same merge would work, no? No files get lost track
7 > > of, all the compilers are upgraded on an emerge --update and, best yet,
8 > > it's possible to do right now. Am I missing something here? Is there some
9 > > reason that the gcc ebuilds couldn't work in that way? Same question re
10 > > mod_php and mod_scgi.
11 >
12 > doesnt work that way ... portage goes 'uh oh, packages with the same $SLOT
13 > in the same $ROOT, lets clean out the old one !'
14
15 Well, duh.. That's what I am suggesting should be fixed. All this
16 cross-compiling talk is a side-track. However, Travis Tilley (Lv) clued me in
17 anyway. For cross compilers, mod_php, et al the user may want the different
18 instances merged with different use flags.
19
20 > cross compiling toolchains need to be in ROOT=/ while the cross compiled
21 > packages need to go in ROOT=/some/where/else
22
23 I've also said this myself elsewhere in this thread.
24
25 Regards,
26 Jason Stubbs
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list