From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:10:56
1 On Wednesday 04 August 2004 10:28 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > As for gcc slotting the cross-compiler, I don't think it's necessary nor
3 > has any bareing on cross-compilation. Having gcc respond to architecture
4 > USE flags (prepended with cc- if necessary) and building the
5 > cross-compilers in the same merge would work, no? No files get lost track
6 > of, all the compilers are upgraded on an emerge --update and, best yet,
7 > it's possible to do right now. Am I missing something here? Is there some
8 > reason that the gcc ebuilds couldn't work in that way? Same question re
9 > mod_php and mod_scgi.
10
11 doesnt work that way ... portage goes 'uh oh, packages with the same $SLOT in
12 the same $ROOT, lets clean out the old one !'
13
14 cross compiling toolchains need to be in ROOT=/ while the cross compiled
15 packages need to go in ROOT=/some/where/else
16
17 in other words, you try to merge a cross compiling version and blam, you lost
18 your native one
19 -mike
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list