From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:25:03
1 On Wednesday 04 August 2004 08:57, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 03 August 2004 07:34 pm, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > That better solution is what I'm looking for here.
4 >
5 > even though the rest of the e-mail suggested otherwise, the truth is a
6 > solution does not exist yet to satisfy the needs of cross compiling ebuilds
7
8 You may have read it in IRC today, but I'll repeat it for verbosity's sake.
9
10 I think we can get portage managed cross compilation happening with relatively
11 few changes. Note that this doesn't extend to multilib, which I can't see as
12 being solvable in the same way. Note this also assumes that cross-compilation
13 will always be done into a different root.
14
15 1. Allow a profile to define aliases for arbitrary commands. This will allow a
16 profile (even customization of an official profile) to specify to use a
17 cross compiler.
18 2. Fix portage so that the make.conf, /etc/profile/* and /etc/portage/* found
19 in ${ROOT} are used and the ones found in / are not used at all for any
20 package being compiled for ${ROOT}.
21 3. Have portage define ${ROOT} as "/" when it is not set by the user.
22 4. Fix ebuilds so that they link against ${ROOT} rather than assuming "/".
23
24 #1 is available as of 2.0.51_pre15 (pre14?). #2 is a little difficult but is
25 not beyond reason. #3 is dead simple. #4 is up to everyone else. Is anything
26 else required for cross-compilation?
27
28 As for gcc slotting the cross-compiler, I don't think it's necessary nor has
29 any bareing on cross-compilation. Having gcc respond to architecture USE
30 flags (prepended with cc- if necessary) and building the cross-compilers in
31 the same merge would work, no? No files get lost track of, all the compilers
32 are upgraded on an emerge --update and, best yet, it's possible to do right
33 now. Am I missing something here? Is there some reason that the gcc ebuilds
34 couldn't work in that way? Same question re mod_php and mod_scgi.
35
36 Regards,
37 Jason Stubbs
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list