From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:51:31
1 On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 13:39 -0700, Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 > You might be overreacting a little here. To bring you up to speed
4 > vapier actually filed the original bug for this after I first noticed
5 > one of these atoms creeping into the tree while doing pre release atom
6 > compare testing for portage-utils around early February. Till this
7 > moment there was no definitive decision of any sort.
8
9 I think the overreaction here is due to the fact that a seemingly
10 "emergency" Council meeting was convened to make this decision. And
11 that is a bit confusing (to me, at least). Why the sudden urge to "fix"
12 this right *now*? I understand that there's a recent addition with
13 ffmpeg and mplayer etc, but this isn't exactly an epidemic in package
14 versioning sweeping through the tree, by any stretch of the imagination.
15 I think a council decision is probably the correct thing (with heavy
16 input from portage and the development community), but an emergency
17 council decision? I'm with Doug on this: it's a little out of place at
18 the moment. Especially when there isn't really an alternative scheme
19 that's been set in stone (the zeroed-out date field idea is one idea --
20 no offense, Robin, but it does seem a little on the klunky side). I
21 think it'd be nice to first open such alternatives up to discussion
22 before making emergency council decisions and announcements like this.
23
24 Thanks,
25
26 Seemant