From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:45:15
1 On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 16:00 -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > Bryan Østergaard wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:49:44PM -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Stephen Bennett wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:16:38 -0400
8 > >>> Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
9 > >>>
10 > >>>
11 > >>>
12 > >>>> So apparently as little as 1 council member can make a decision and it
13 > >>>> be binding unless appealed to the entire council at the next meeting.
14 > >>>>
15 > >>>>
16 > >>> There were three council members who happened to be around at the time,
17 > >>> and those three agreed unanimously. That seems reasonable to me for an
18 > >>> interim decision.
19 > >>>
20 > >>>
21 > >> Is it that serious of an issue that it needed to be done as such and
22 > >> could not wait for a regular council meeting?
23 > >>
24 > >> Granted I understand it's important for you paludis users since paludis
25 > >> doesn't support that.
26 > >> But I'm talking about real Gentoo users that use Portage.
27 > >>
28 > >> I think we are setting a VERY dangerous precedent by allowing a subset
29 > >> of council members to make decisions as a whole if they decide to make a
30 > >> decision outside of a normal session.
31 > >>
32 > >> Who were the 3?
33 > >>
34 > > Already stated in another reply on this thread but the three council
35 > > members were robbat2, kugelfang and myself.
36 > >
37 > > Regards,
38 > > Bryan Østergaard
39 > >
40 > Bryan,
41 >
42 > You and Danny have clearly shown your bias towards paludis take over and
43 > support of Gentoo. It's fairly poor taste to FORCE this through during a
44 > non-regular meeting for something that paludis is lacking.
45 >
46 > It's AMAZING how fast you guys are to clamor and fix what you call a QA
47 > issue and other problems when we've had issues highlighted for years
48 > that the council can't move on. But once it's a possible issue with
49 > paludis you guys are quick to respond.
50
51 You might be overreacting a little here. To bring you up to speed
52 vapier actually filed the original bug for this after I first noticed
53 one of these atoms creeping into the tree while doing pre release atom
54 compare testing for portage-utils around early February. Till this
55 moment there was no definitive decision of any sort.
58 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
59 Gentoo Linux
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list