From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:11:04
On 03/14/12 21:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote: >> >> I proposed a way that this could work with no effort on the part of the >> Gentoo developers in one of my earlier emails: >> > > Then go ahead and make it happen. If as you say no dev participation > is needed there is nothing Gentoo needs to do to support this.
That proposal was something that I had intended to abstract ebuild maintainers such as myself out of the picture. I am do not have a separate /usr filesystem, yet as an ebuild maintainer, I receive bug reports from those that do. If people want to guarentee that they can boot without an initramfs, they can implement my suggestion. If they don't, then it is no problem for me. I have already fixed things for the separate /usr crowd in my ebuilds.