From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, "Bjarke Sørensen" <bs@××××.dk>, Sherman Boyd <meekrob@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How should Gentoo docs be licensed?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:56:22
1 On Thursday 02 May 2002 03:15 pm, Bjarke Sørensen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 07:04:26AM -0700, Sherman Boyd wrote:
3 > > How should Gentoo docs be licensed? I know of two documentation
4 > > licenses, the GFDL and the OPL. Anyone know of any alternatives?
5 > > http://www.fsf.org/licenses/fdl.html
6 > > http://opencontent.org/openpub/
7 > >
8 > > Both licenses are seem good to me, but I am not a copyright lawyer. The
9 > > GFDL is definitely longer, and more specific. The OPL is short and
10 > > clean, easily understood by a layperson.
11 >
12 > Is this settled yet?
13 > Or should I bring my 5 cents?
14
15 Well, here's my $0.50 worth. :-)
16
17 overview of documentation licenses at
18 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#DocumentationLicenses
19
20 [ quote ]
21 The following licenses do qualify as free documentation licenses:
22
23 The GNU Free Documentation License.
24 This is a license intended for use on copylefted free documentation. We
25 plan to adopt it for all GNU manuals.
26
27 The FreeBSD Documentation License
28 This is a permissive non-copyleft Free Documentation license that is
29 compatible with the GNU FDL.
30
31 The Apple's Common Documentation License, Version 1.0
32 This is a Free Documentation license that is incompatible with the GNU
33 FDL. It is incompatible because Section (2c) says "You add no other terms or
34 conditions to those of this License", and the GNU FDL has additional terms
35 not accounted for in the Common Documentation License.
36
37 Open Publication License, Version 1.0.
38 This license can be used as a free documentation license. It is a
39 copyleft free documentation license provided the copyright holder does not
40 exercise any of the "LICENSE OPTIONS" listed in Section VI of the license.
41 But if either of the options is invoked, the license becomes non-free.
42 [ end quote ]
43
44 The important thing to note about the OPL is that it has two options which, if
45 either one is invoked, make the license non-free. For that reason, it is
46 IMHO best to avoid using that license, and the potential confusion that could
47 be caused if portions of the documentation contributed were to invoke either
48 of the options making it non-free.
49
50 FWIW any docs accepted by the Source Mage (Formerly Sorcerer) Project as
51 "official" documentation must be FDLed. I don't know how much
52 cross-referencing between the two distro's docs there would ever be (the two
53 distros are quite different in several basic respects), but it might be nice
54 if as many GPL projects as possible contributed their documentation in
55 licenses compatible with one another, as we all (for the most part) do with
56 our code. :-)
57
58 The FDL is a little long to read, but it is quite straightforward. The
59 various restrictions are basically for publishers ... what can and cannot be
60 changed in the document itself, on the cover, etc. FWIW I am releasing all
61 of my own fictional works under the FDL (in addition to a Free Media License
62 to allow people like film students to make movies from the material, so long
63 as said movies are in turn freely usable and modifiable by others, but that
64 is a tangent for another day). If your goal is to have documentation enter a
65 public commons from which cannot be stolen but to which anything may be
66 contributed or modified, a la the GPL, the FDL (or perhaps the FreeBSD
67 Documentation License) seems to work pretty well. The OPL would have worked,
68 if only they hadn't included the optional 'features' that lead to some OPL
69 works being free and some not (and no obvious distinction without digging
70 into the nitty gritty of the specific licensed work in question).
71
72 Jean.