From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:40:55
1 On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:24:36 -0700
2 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 02:30:51PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
5 > > Tom, you already know my opinion because we discussed it. I'm all
6 > > for it. Just a reminder: there's always problems somewhere in the
7 > > kernel which can be triggered by various options. The kernel is not
8 > > one big take it or leave it chunk of code, but many chunks
9 > > selectable by Kconfig with the exception of course of the core. The
10 > > best we can do wrt to BFQ and other "risky" patches is mark these
11 > > options as EXPERIMENTAL. I was going to say depend on
12 > > CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL in Kconfig, but this is deprecated. See
13 > > scripts/checkpatch.pl
14 > >
15 > > "Use of CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is deprecated. For alternatives, see
16 > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/580"
17 >
18 > It's flat out gone now in the 3.10 kernel release, so if you use it,
19 > your code just will never be enabled.
20
21 As I replied earlier and tried to make clear in my first post, this
22 would be our own config variable; naming it CONFIG_GENTOO_EXPERIMENTAL
23 for that matter as to not confuse people.
26 With kind regards,
27
28 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
29 Gentoo Developer
30
31 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
32 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
33 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D