From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An official Gentoo wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:01:37
1 Gokdeniz Karadag wrote:
2 > The wiki can be a staging ground for user contributed documents, which can
3 > become part of official docs after a review and cleanup by developers.
4
5 . . . no, I'd think not.
6
7 It takes time and effort to produce one of our polished, professional
8 documents. That's duplicating the time and effort that it takes to write
9 a decent wiki article -- pointless duplication.
10
11 One of the things I'm hearing from just about every other user and
12 developer is that users would be providing the peer review necessary to
13 keep documents at a general level of quality. This means "let the wiki
14 live its wiki life," which means there's no need to reformat the article
15 as something else. If it's a decent wiki article, then it should stand
16 on its own merits....as a wiki article, nothing else. It's a community
17 contributed article on the community-contributed resource. That's where
18 it belongs.
19
20 Most folks have said they're okay with official Gentoo documentation and
21 a second community-contributed resource (that may not be as accurate,
22 tested, readable, etc.) So keep that system around. If you want to jot
23 up a quick howto, or an article filled with individual speculation and
24 anecdotes, keep it on the wiki. If you want a doc to be considered *the*
25 authority on its subject (such as
26 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml ;)), maintained by Gentoo
27 developers, then submit it to the GDP via bugzilla, or provide updates
28 to one of the docs we already have.
29
30 There really is no reason why we can't have this split. There's no need
31 to XMLify every halfway decent wiki article just because it's so much
32 better than everything else on the wiki. Trying to do so involves an
33 inordinate number of work hours and staff that we just don't have, not
34 to mention greatly raising the existing maintainer burden.