From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suitable USE flag name for stuff that requires non volatile memory
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:19:42
1 On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:34:10 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
5 > 200705120647.39160.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Sat, 12 May
6 > 2007 06:47:38 -0400:
7 >
8 > > On Friday 11 May 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
9 > >> livecd
10 > >> (only a livecd is volative, even embedded devices have non volative
11 > >> storage)
12 > >
13 > > i would use that myself ... perhaps even tie in USE=netboot ...
14 >
15 > Except that livecd is entirely unsuitable. The description says it's
16 > for internal use only, not to be set on a standard installation,
17 > while Roy's post specifically stated that those merging the package
18 > for use on IPv6 will probably want the functionality on.
19
20 Although it's a requirement for IPv6 DHCP, it's recommended for IPv4
21 these days too. It is a requirement for IPv4 DHCP over infiniband as
22 that has MAC address sizes that are great than what DHCP messages
23 originally allowed. So no, in this case the ipv6 USE flag would be bad
24 for this. I also implies IPv6 support which it won't have for some time
25 yet.
26
27 > (I OTOH, would want it off, for the same reason I'm running the
28 > macchanger module, have cookies off by default, and block the likes
29 > of doubleclick. I like my IP address actually changing once in
30 > awhile, certainly more frequently than my ISP tends to change it
31 > given the same MAC address every time. My ISP may be able to
32 > associate my IP with my name and account based on the records for the
33 > cable modem registered in my name, but that doesn't mean I want every
34 > doubleclick and google.com doing it, at least not without going to a
35 > bit of trouble. Thus, using a non-transparent flag such as livecd
36 > and defaulting it to on, or simply hard-deping it, isn't a
37 > particularly nice option either.)
38
39 You can disable it's use at runtime by giving the -I option a null
40 argument. This is unsuitable for live cd users as they won't do that by
41 default.
42
43 Or you can always remove the file /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.duid and it
44 will make a new one for you.
45
46 Thanks
47