From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suitable USE flag name for stuff that requires non volatile memory
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:41:42
1 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> posted
2 20070512161638.0bab56dc@××××××××××××××××××.name, excerpted below, on Sat,
3 12 May 2007 16:16:38 +0100:
4
5 > Although it's a requirement for IPv6 DHCP, it's recommended for IPv4
6 > these days too. It is a requirement for IPv4 DHCP over infiniband as
7 > that has MAC address sizes that are great than what DHCP messages
8 > originally allowed. So no, in this case the ipv6 USE flag would be bad
9 > for this. I also implies IPv6 support which it won't have for some time
10 > yet.
11 >
12 >> (I OTOH, would want it off, for the same reason I'm running the
13 >> macchanger module, have cookies off by default, and block the likes of
14 >> doubleclick.)
15 >
16 > You can disable it's use at runtime by giving the -I option a null
17 > argument. This is unsuitable for live cd users as they won't do that by
18 > default.
19 >
20 > Or you can always remove the file /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.duid and it
21 > will make a new one for you.
22
23 Thanks. The -I <nothing> sounds like the better alternative, as from
24 your description elsewhere removing the duid would simply create new ones
25 each time, filling up the slots on the server unnecessarily, while the -I
26 disabling shouldn't use the functionality at all, which would be the same
27 as having it not compiled in.
28
29 With that caveat, having it on by default and the livecd thing turn it
30 off seems a bit more reasonable -- except then the livecds won't of
31 course work with ipv6 DHCP then, as it's required there. Given limited
32 space on the CD and a desire to use it on ipv6 nets, I don't see a way
33 around disabling it there 200 uses filling up garbage slots on the server
34 or not. Well, there's a hack, two in-path versions, a normal version
35 script stub that adds the appropriate deactivating -I and an ipv6 or
36 whatever version that doesn't, but that's a hack and not really
37 satisfactory.
38
39 Are any other LiveCDs using it yet or otherwise providing IPv6 DHCP
40 functionality? What do they do? Surely it's not just a Gentoo problem.
41
42 I still think IUSE=dhcp-uid is about as descriptive as it gets, and
43 coupled with a decent use.desc.local entry and perhaps an elog notice of
44 some sort, that should be fine.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list