From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Summary
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:51:53
1 On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 08:08, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2 > 2.) There are ppl that say, the proposed solution is to much work, why not
3 > base on the current situation and create a wrapper around the gnome and kde
4 > menus. But what will we do if KDE or GNOME changes it menu-system, we have to
5 > change ours as well. The proposed solution will be completly independent from
6 > KDE and GNOME. I also want to qoute spider:
7
8 I believe I was more thinking not that it is too much work, but rather
9 too much *pointless* work. I do not feel we should be changing
10 literally hundreds of upstream packages to make them put their desktop
11 entries in the location we want, then have our menu system generate the
12 legacy menus for each window manager. I think it would be much simpler
13 to leave the current window manager's menu system alone and create our
14 own.
15
16 For example, Gnome uses /usr/share/applications as the location for menu
17 items in version 2+. It uses /usr/share/gnome/apps for versions below
18 that. The new versions still have support for the old style menus to
19 allow older applications to be in the new Gnome menu.
20
21 Now, I have USE=menu in my make.conf and I emerge gnome. This applies a
22 SINGLE patch to the gnome-panel ebuild which changes the default
23 location of the Gnome system menu to /usr/share/gentoo-menu, where we
24 store our Gentoo-created menus. Now, when gnome-games emerges, it puts
25 all of its .desktop entries in /usr/share/applications. At the end of
26 the ebuild, a do_menu function is run which takes the .desktop entries
27 added by the gnome-games ebuild and parses them. It then creates
28 entries in the /usr/share/gnome-menu directory which meet our menu
29 specifications. This way, if USE=-menu, NOTHING has changed for the
30 user.
31
32 > "consider that we don't have to provide massive fileupdates, global lists
33 > coherent with our tree, but each capable and installed package requires
34 > a small change that goes back and forwards with versions without
35 > overhead for versionbumps."
36
37 I see no reason to change hundreds of application ebuilds, when changing
38 the window managers themselves is much simpler and more succinct. Yes,
39 the application ebuilds will have to be modified to add the do_menu
40 function, but I have no problem with this simple change which makes no
41 real changes to the actual upstream package, rather than changing the
42 locations of where a package chooses to install its desktop entries. I
43 may be misunderstanding exactly how your proposal is designed to
44 generate the menus, but I see mine as extremely unobtrusive to both the
45 developer (or user) creating the ebulds, and also to the end-users who
46 choose to NOT use our menu system.
47
48 > 3.) Implementation issues, like icons, we can discuss that later.
49
50 Agreed on that. I just wanted to point out that there is already a
51 default location for "default" icons. Icon themes are handled
52 differently by each window manager. (Uh oh, I see another proposal
53 coming up... ;p)
54
55 > And finally i want to quote seemants post ;)
56 >
57 > "Wow, this thread is just getting silly. For the nay-sayers who just
58 > want to "add my own menu entries, thank you" have you actually READ what
59 > the proposal was? Did you not see that the thing is optional? Further,
60 > did you not see that it will NOT overwrite the application's native menu
61 > stuff?
62 >
63 > For the developers who won't go and change their ebuilds -- are you sure
64 > you've got the end-user's best interests at heart? Having been part of
65 > the distro for damned near 20 months now, "why doesn't gentoo have an
66 > automated menu system?" is among the top 10 most frequently asked
67 > questions. If you won't switch them, we'll find a developer who will.
68 >
69 > Please, stop this flame rubbish already."
70
71 I don't think any of us are considering denying the users of anything.
72 However, I think we (well, at least I) are wanting to just have more
73 discussion and much more input on how this would be implemented to try
74 to accommodate as much of the user base as possible.
77 Chris Gianelloni
78 Developer, Gentoo Linux