From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split KDE packages?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:28:51
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hello everyone,
5
6 This is my plan :-)
7
8 I understand now that so many people have requested it that splitting the
9 packages (in a way that doesn't harm those who want the full packages!) is an
10 important feature. I wanted to explain to everyone what my outlook on this
11 is, so I'm quoting my comments from bug #11123 (including one I added just
12 now):
13
14 - ------- Additional Comment #1 From Dan Armak 2002-11-29 13:46 -------
15 This has been discussed before. Formally if you want to call it that - on the
16 mailing lists at least.
17
18 There are two ways of implementing this.
19
20 Under the current portage architecture, we'd need to use separate, autonomous
21 ebuilds for every 'subpackage'. This however raises a problem:
22
23 A kde configure script takes as much as a minute or more to run. Today when
24 you emerge all of kde you run ~17 configure scripts, i.e. as much as 20
25 minutes goes there (of course everything depends on the speed of the
26 machine).
27 If all kde-base packages are split into separate subpackage ebuilds, you'll
28 get hundreds of subpackages (200+). That means an extra 200 minutes -- 3.5
29 hours -- added to the compilation time of all of KDE. And most people do want
30 the whole of kde. This is unacceptable.
31
32 There were various proposals of caching the configuration info, or sharing it
33 somewhere in /var/tmp. But all that is complex, inelegant and unpleasant to
34 implement and maintain.
35
36 The other possibility is having a single ebuild provide real 'subpackages' any
37 combination of which could be emerged by request. However there would only be
38 a single workdir, so unless you deleted /var/tmp/portage in the middle of it,
39 'emerge kde' would run configure a minimal amount of times.
40
41 However this requires new portage features: fex. keeping in /var/db/pkg the
42 info of which subpackages are installed, and recognizing a variables/use flag
43 for that purpose.
44
45 Someday I hope this can be done.
46
47 - ------- Additional Comment #8 From Dan Armak 2003-01-29 08:17 -------
48
49 It is not a problem to make an ebuild compile a subset of all available
50 subpackages. <snip>
51
52 Now the best solution IMHO would be to implement 'subpackages' as i described
53 before. An ebuild could then divide the files it installs into a number of
54 'subpackages'. If the user requested merging certain subpackages, the ebuild
55 would (should) be smart enough to take only the minimal action required to
56 compile those subpackages. And if the user requested everything (as in an
57 ordinary emerge command), the ebuild would be smart enough not to repeat
58 actions (ie not to run configure more than once).
59
60 This obviously needs portage-side support and so must come after the present
61 (pre-1.4-release) feature freeze ends. I'll try to add such support then,
62 meanwhile I'm dealing with bugs only...
63
64 - --
65 Dan Armak
66 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)