From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: danarmak@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split KDE packages?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:30:39
1 This is somewhat off topic.
2
3 When/If this subpackage feature is designed/implemented would this be
4 usable for packages like busybox?
5
6 Busybox is a package that puts small version of the most common utils
7 ,such as sh, wget, cat and similar, in one binary. You pick features in
8 a header file before compiling, and then it is called by "busybox
9 <util>" or a symlink <util> --> busybox. Now it would be great to have
10 this like bb-ash, bb-netcat and similar subpackages so you have a
11 consistent way of configuring "features" of "multiprogrampackages".
12 You might think that busybox has to be recompuled completley anyway so
13 why bother? For the sake of consistency in package management I say.
14
15 The gvim and vim situation also springs to mind.
16 gkrellm and its plugins... plugins in general could/shuld be
17 subpackages.
18
19 And E17 is an excellent candidate =)
20