From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 22:36:10
1 Hi Andreas,
2
3 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> writes:
4
5 > Well, in principle the idea is OK. We already/still keep some old
6 > glibc, gcc, and binutils versions for that reason.
7 >
8 > However, I have a few conditions.
9 >
10 > * Only masked. Only prefix keywords.
11
12 Not problem for masking. For keywords, prefix-standalone uses usual
13 keywords, not prefix keywords.
14
15 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix/Technical_Documentation#Search_pathes
16
17 > If you really must unmask them in a specific prefix profile, you must
18 > provide big fat warnings about the resulting security risks. (I dont
19 > know how things went in prehistoric times, but recently there have
20 > been a LOT of glibc-related CVEs. Many fixes can be backported, but
21 > definitely not all of them.)
22
23 Yes, I think that's the way to go to keep users reminded of security
24 risks involved.
25
26 > * No toolchain-glibc.eclass or eblits or similar abominations. Standard QA
27 > rules apply.
28
29 Agreed! Old glibc becomes a burden for toolchain-glibc.eclass
30 maintenance. We'd better make them standalone.
31
32 > * Try to stick to a minimum of required features (and a minimum of required
33 > versions).
34 > We want to strongly avoid adding conditionals to other packages. [#]
35
36 Sure, the feature set will be kept bare minimal. For example, handened
37 patches will be removed.
38
39 > * Please use our gentoo glibc repo to keep track of branches and patchsets.
40 > Happy to show you the details sometime soon.
41
42 Thanks Andreas. Much appreciated.
43
44 > [#] If not for such "old version" considerations, we could soon move the
45 > libtirpc headers to the place where the glibc headers used to live. That could
46 > save us a ...load of patching and bugfixing. By keeping flexibility and
47 > compatibility, that is unfortunately not possible.
48
49 That's where I see providing glibc-2.16 and 2.19 in special profiles
50 might shed light on this delimma. We keep versions of glibc to make
51 sure some old systems do not break. But those systems are not clearly
52 defined. We don't have a guideline for when and how to remove them.
53 (We used to keep them almost indefinitely before the reformation of
54 toolchain project.)
55
56 By explicitly spelling out the range of kernels a specific glibc
57 supports, and only keeping the minimal set of old versions, the
58 boundaries are defined.
59
60 Cheers,
61 Benda