From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc 2.16/19 for Gentoo Prefix on antique kernels
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:36:58
1 Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2018, 07:17:47 CET schrieb Benda Xu:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Yes, it's 2018. But there are still RHEL 4 and 5 systems running
5 > antique kernels such as 2.6.8 and 2.6.18. In my experience, many of
6 > them are data acquisition hubs or computing clusters. No administrator
7 > cares about security as long as they "work".
8 >
9 > Under the form "Prefix", Gentoo is set out to rescue users trapped in
10 > these abandoned wastelands of antiques. After years of work, we have
11 > achieved that goal, except one minor thing: glibc periodically drop
12 > support for old linux kernels, the lastest glibc supporting linux 2.6.8
13 > is 2.16 and for linux-2.6.18 it is glibc-2.19.
14 >
15 > With the recent reunion of the Toolchain Project, old glibc versions are
16 > masked and removed, accelerating the adoption of new versions. This
17 > opens a new oppotunity for the Prefix: people stops caring about
18 > unsupported glibc versions, the Prefix Project can take them over
19 > without worrying about breaking other peoples' machines.
20
21 Well, in principle the idea is OK. We already/still keep some old glibc, gcc,
22 and binutils versions for that reason.
23
24 However, I have a few conditions.
25
26 * Only masked. Only prefix keywords.
27 If you really must unmask them in a specific prefix profile, you must provide
28 big fat warnings about the resulting security risks.
29 (I dont know how things went in prehistoric times, but recently there have
30 been a LOT of glibc-related CVEs. Many fixes can be backported, but definitely
31 not all of them.)
32
33 * No toolchain-glibc.eclass or eblits or similar abominations. Standard QA
34 rules apply.
35
36 * Try to stick to a minimum of required features (and a minimum of required
37 versions).
38 We want to strongly avoid adding conditionals to other packages. [#]
39
40 * Please use our gentoo glibc repo to keep track of branches and patchsets.
41 Happy to show you the details sometime soon.
44 [#] If not for such "old version" considerations, we could soon move the
45 libtirpc headers to the place where the glibc headers used to live. That could
46 save us a ...load of patching and bugfixing. By keeping flexibility and
47 compatibility, that is unfortunately not possible.
52 Andreas K. Hüttel
53 dilfridge@g.o
54 Gentoo Linux developer
55 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)