From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:19:31
1 On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > I don't see a compelling case being made for why we should make this
3 > change apart from "all the other distros are doing it", and quite a
4 > few reasons why we shouldn't. I'm open to being convinced, so please
5 > tell me why this is good for Gentoo users.
6
7 So far I've seen a reference to a bug associated with a bunch of
8 systemd issues when it isn't mounted, and the point that many things
9 break in namespaces without the symlink, since /etc/mtab does not
10 reflect the state of the namespace. The latter in particular seems
11 like a pretty fundamental limitation - the very concept of /etc/mtab
12 is that mounts are global, and the design of linux is that mounts are
13 NOT global.
14
15 If all the other distros are doing it, there is probably a reason.
16
17 As far as problems with switching - I've only seen one or two
18 correctable issues that seem compelling (NFS issues, and PAM issues).
19 There was a bunch of talk about how making this change will cause a
20 command designed to unmount everything actually unmount everything as
21 well.
22
23 But please continue to chime in with both pros and cons.
24
25 Rich