From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:26:48
1 On Oct 14, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I don't see a compelling case being made for why we should make this
5 >> change apart from "all the other distros are doing it", and quite a
6 >> few reasons why we shouldn't. I'm open to being convinced, so please
7 >> tell me why this is good for Gentoo users.
8 >
9 > So far I've seen a reference to a bug associated with a bunch of
10 > systemd issues when it isn't mounted, and the point that many things
11 > break in namespaces without the symlink, since /etc/mtab does not
12 > reflect the state of the namespace. The latter in particular seems
13 > like a pretty fundamental limitation - the very concept of /etc/mtab
14 > is that mounts are global, and the design of linux is that mounts are
15 > NOT global.
16
17 Why should this not be treated as a systemd bug?
18
19 > If all the other distros are doing it, there is probably a reason.
20
21 Perhaps they lack a FreeBSD variant and therefore see no reason to be different than Fedora.
22
23 > As far as problems with switching - I've only seen one or two
24 > correctable issues that seem compelling (NFS issues, and PAM issues).
25 > There was a bunch of talk about how making this change will cause a
26 > command designed to unmount everything actually unmount everything as
27 > well.
28
29 How do these corrections affect Gentoo FreeBSD?