From: cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:18:00
1 On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
2
3 > I think that setting arbitrary guidelines that try to rule every
4 > situation is just *plain* wrong.
5 >
6 > Some of the packages I maintain are better removed when a new
7 > maintenance version is released. And I plan to keep it that way :)
8 >
9 > As usual, deep known of the package you are removing and common
10 > sense is
11 > way better than guidelines 'to rule them all'.
12
13 I see myself very often upgrading and encountering a bug which
14 requires me to
15 downgrade. But a downgrade isn't easily possible since the last
16 stable ebuild has
17 already been replaced by the newer and buggy one. The bug must not be
18 in the
19 ebuild itself, sometimes a version-upgrade (upstream) brings new
20 features and
21 new bugs. Sometimes it is nearly impossible for a package maintainer
22 to get an
23 overview of possible bugs, may be upstream bugs, or typos.
24
25 Related to these issues, I really recommend to add timeline like it
26 exists for adding
27 to stable tree.
28
29 Cec