From: "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:26:38
1 On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 12:14:37PM +0200, cilly wrote:
2 > On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
3 >
4 > > I think that setting arbitrary guidelines that try to rule every
5 > > situation is just *plain* wrong.
6 > >
7 > > Some of the packages I maintain are better removed when a new
8 > > maintenance version is released. And I plan to keep it that way :)
9 > >
10 > > As usual, deep known of the package you are removing and common sense is
11 > > way better than guidelines 'to rule them all'.
12 >
13 > I see myself very often upgrading and encountering a bug which
14 > requires me to downgrade. But a downgrade isn't easily possible since
15 > the last stable ebuild has already been replaced by the newer and
16 > buggy one. The bug must not be in the ebuild itself, sometimes a
17 > version-upgrade (upstream) brings new features and new bugs.
18 > Sometimes it is nearly impossible for a package maintainer to get an
19 > overview of possible bugs, may be upstream bugs, or typos.
20
21 Well, if maintainers can't properly follow upstream development they
22 should probably seek help in their maintenance job.
23
24 - ferdy
27 Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartín
28 20BB BDC3 761A 4781 E6ED ED0B 0A48 5B0C 60BD 28D4