From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>, gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Keywords policy
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:57:52
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 3/10/08, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3 >> You're still not getting this. The KDE team did not _want_ these ebuilds
4 >> keyworded. That's why they _weren't_ keyworded. That's why there was no bug
5 >> filed, saying "hey we dropped these keywords" because they _did not want_ you to
6 >> add them back yet. When the ebuilds were of sufficient quality that they could
7 >> be tested, then a bug is filed, the ebuilds are tested, and then re-keyworded.
8 >
9 > Right, but you did not make your want known, so how is Jer to know?
12 I don't really want to get into the specifics of this situation but
13 wanted to raise a question of policy.
14
15 My understanding is that arch teams shouldn't keyword anything without
16 the OK of the maintainer - usually in the form of a STABLEREQ bug. When
17 I get stable requests from users I don't act on them until I hear from
18 the maintainer for this reason.
19
20 I know that at one point there was discussion of having a ~maint/maint
21 keywords that would be used just to indicate the intent of the
22 maintainer for each package. Then all the usual keyword-comparison
23 tools could be used to detect packages that are ready for keywording.
24
25 I would be pretty annoyed as a maintainer if I started getting a deluge
26 of bug reports and complaints from end users who didn't intend to run
27 broken software if somebody unmasked or keyworded something that I
28 didn't intend anybody to be using aside from a few brave souls willing
29 to risk everything to try out some new software.
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list