From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Keywords policy
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:04:01
1 (Probably off topic? I think Richard said something he didn't intend.)
2
3 On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:24 -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
4 > Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > On 3/10/08, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> You're still not getting this. The KDE team did not _want_ these ebuilds
7 > >> keyworded. That's why they _weren't_ keyworded. That's why there was no bug
8 > >> filed, saying "hey we dropped these keywords" because they _did not want_ you to
9 > >> add them back yet. When the ebuilds were of sufficient quality that they could
10 > >> be tested, then a bug is filed, the ebuilds are tested, and then re-keyworded.
11 > >
12 > > Right, but you did not make your want known, so how is Jer to know?
15 > I don't really want to get into the specifics of this situation but
16 > wanted to raise a question of policy.
17 >
18 > My understanding is that arch teams shouldn't keyword anything without
19 > the OK of the maintainer - usually in the form of a STABLEREQ bug. When
20 > I get stable requests from users I don't act on them until I hear from
21 > the maintainer for this reason.
24 Um, not really --- this is too broad. Some packages are not keyworded
25 because no one has ever tried them. We occasionally get keyword
26 requests of the form "Please add ~sparc keyword to .... because I've
27 been using it and it works fine" in response to which we do add the
28 keyword if it does work. No maintainer action involved, because the
29 maintainer apparently doesn't know if the package works on sparc or not
30 anyway. A STABLEREQ is a different matter, masked packages are a
31 different matter, but not just keywording.
32
33 --- snip ---
34
35 Regards,
36 Ferris
37 --
38 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
39 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)