From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 02:10:54
1 On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 09:54:42 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So, my question is, why can't we add a noarch/~noarch keyword and see
5 > how things go? If it gets abused we can always nuke it later.
6 >
7 > Thanks,
8
9 I'm just gonna say I disagree with this proposal as stated.
10
11 Stability and arch support, for the purposes of QA, should be based on
12 demonstrated evidence.
13
14 Not speculation ( which noarch inherently is ).
15
16 I'd be "OK" with a provisional flag that indicates a package /should/
17 be architecture independent, but it should be as an optional
18 enhancement for users on minor arches who want to minimize their
19 fussing with keywords.
20
21 But KEYWORDS imo, should be a graph of demonstrated evidence, otherwise
22 it pretty much makes the purpose of arch testing redundant.
23
24 And yes, even vanilla perl code can have arch dependent behaviour.
25
26 ( I myself fell prey to pack() having some behavioural changes based on
27 the users 32 vs 64bitness )
28
29 However, what I propose isn't something you can "hack in" to an
30 existing EAPI's tree.
31
32 You'd likely need an EAPI enhancement to implement this the way I'd
33 imagine.
34
35 In short:
36
37 - An Ebuild should still have KEYWORDS that indicate
38 - What it has been tested to work on
39 - What it has been evidentially supported on
40 - But an Ebuild *could* have a variable that indicates
41 - That in the absence of good testing and evidence, it is
42 *expected* to work on all arches.
43 - End users could be provided tools to *permit* the latter class
44 to be installed on their system based on the speculation
45 - But it would still be "out of scope" for users who want and demand
46 a tested, predictable, quality, stable system.
47
48 Anything else is just weakening our quality assurance for our users,
49 in order to pander to developer ease.