From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VPopmail - SUID vchkpw
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:34:50
1 On Wednesday 20 July 2005 03:04 am, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:37:19AM +0000, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
3 > > I can confirm that - bincimap and qmail-pop3d run as root, so the
4 > > setuid bit is not necessary. I believe this is also the case for
5 > > dovecot 1.0 beta releases, though there are no ebuilds for them so
6 > > I haven't yet tested (<1.0 releases use libvpopmail directly
7 > > instead of the checkpassword interface). However it is necessary
8 > > for any server running as a non-root user, i.e. qmail-smtpd.
9 >
10 > For common operation of qmail-smtpd, vchkpw is NOT required. SMTP AUTH
11 > is the only reason qmail-smtpd would call vchkpw.
12
13 how is that not common operation ? SMTP AUTH is a pretty critical feature
14 imho
15 -mike
16 --
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list