From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VPopmail - SUID vchkpw
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:07:13
1 On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:37:19AM +0000, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
2 > > So if this is still a problem in arch, but works in ~arch, you
3 > > SHOULD file a bug report.
4 > Why not just wait for the newer releases to make it to arch?
5 See my note as to why they haven't moved yet, and consider testing them
6 yourself, and reporting back (via bugzilla!).
7
8 > > However the original reasoning for vchkpw NOT being setuid was
9 > > that setuid is NOT always needed depending on which backend you
10 > > are using.
11 > I can confirm that - bincimap and qmail-pop3d run as root, so the
12 > setuid bit is not necessary. I believe this is also the case for
13 > dovecot 1.0 beta releases, though there are no ebuilds for them so
14 > I haven't yet tested (<1.0 releases use libvpopmail directly
15 > instead of the checkpassword interface). However it is necessary
16 > for any server running as a non-root user, i.e. qmail-smtpd.
17 For common operation of qmail-smtpd, vchkpw is NOT required. SMTP AUTH
18 is the only reason qmail-smtpd would call vchkpw.
19
20 > Thus I believe this should have the same treatment as binaries like
21 > chsh - they won't work for non-root users without the setuid bit,
22 > but running as a non-root user is generally accepted. If I want to
23 > be paranoid (which I am), I can use suidctl (which I do), and only
24 > uncomment the binary when I discover the need to. There's not
25 > really any reverse of suidctl to my awareness.
26 chsh has also been vetted for security problems a LOT more closely than
27 vchkpw. I don't trust vchkpw with suid-root.
28
29 > Nor is there a use flag for qmail or similar on vpopmail, but the
30 > vpopmail ebuild requires qmail regardless of USE settings (postfix
31 > support is not present), so at least in the current state, since
32 > the package is built for qmail, it should assume qmail's non-root
33 > qmail-smtpd will need to access vchkpw.
34 The postfix maintainers were asked about it once before, and the answer
35 was that there wasn't enough demand for it. You're only the second
36 person that's asked (that I am aware of).
37
38 > I would encourage making vchkpw suid even if postfix is supported
39 > and used instead of qmail, because there are other softwares (i.e.
40 > IMAP & POP servers) which have a checkpassword interface which do
41 > may not run as the root user.
42 This is decidedly not a good idea, unless vchkpw gets locked up more so
43 that only specific things can run it (otherwise it can easily be used
44 to brute-force passwords).
45
46 > > And as I've mentioned before I'd like MORE reports of packages
47 > > working well before they are moved to stable arch. Without those
48 > > stable working reports I don't have any means to judge just how
49 > > much testing has been done on a package, other than my own use of
50 > > a package (and as such I do leave things longer than the 30 days,
51 > > because I don't entirely trust them).
52 > This sounds like a request for the QA team. I tend to stay away
53 > from most ~arch packages simply because most of our systems are
54 > live production servers, but I'd be happy to test-drive new ebuilds
55 > of vpopmail if it would help get new versions into the stable tree
56 > faster.
57 In the absence of a proper QA team, users are some of the best
58 large-scale QA available. All I'm asking for are reports that a package
59 "Works for me". Try the ebuilds out, and send some feedback in.
62 Robin Hugh Johnson
63 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
64 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
65 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
66 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85