From: Casey Allen Shobe <lists@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VPopmail - SUID vchkpw
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 05:40:10
1 On Wednesday 20 July 2005 02:43, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > This problem IS fixed in ~arch:
3 >
4 > line 190 of both vpopmail-5.4.10.ebuild and
5 > vpopmail-5.4.9-r2.ebuild: chmod 4711 ${D}${VPOP_HOME}/bin/vchkpw
6
7 Ahh okay, that explains things a bit. I'm using x86, which means
8 5.4.6.
9
10 > So if this is still a problem in arch, but works in ~arch, you
11 > SHOULD file a bug report.
12
13 Why not just wait for the newer releases to make it to arch?
14
15 > However the original reasoning for vchkpw NOT being setuid was
16 > that setuid is NOT always needed depending on which backend you
17 > are using.
18
19 I can confirm that - bincimap and qmail-pop3d run as root, so the
20 setuid bit is not necessary. I believe this is also the case for
21 dovecot 1.0 beta releases, though there are no ebuilds for them so
22 I haven't yet tested (<1.0 releases use libvpopmail directly
23 instead of the checkpassword interface). However it is necessary
24 for any server running as a non-root user, i.e. qmail-smtpd.
25
26 Thus I believe this should have the same treatment as binaries like
27 chsh - they won't work for non-root users without the setuid bit,
28 but running as a non-root user is generally accepted. If I want to
29 be paranoid (which I am), I can use suidctl (which I do), and only
30 uncomment the binary when I discover the need to. There's not
31 really any reverse of suidctl to my awareness.
32
33 Nor is there a use flag for qmail or similar on vpopmail, but the
34 vpopmail ebuild requires qmail regardless of USE settings (postfix
35 support is not present), so at least in the current state, since
36 the package is built for qmail, it should assume qmail's non-root
37 qmail-smtpd will need to access vchkpw.
38
39 I would encourage making vchkpw suid even if postfix is supported
40 and used instead of qmail, because there are other softwares (i.e.
41 IMAP & POP servers) which have a checkpassword interface which do
42 may not run as the root user.
43
44 > And as I've mentioned before I'd like MORE reports of packages
45 > working well before they are moved to stable arch. Without those
46 > stable working reports I don't have any means to judge just how
47 > much testing has been done on a package, other than my own use of
48 > a package (and as such I do leave things longer than the 30 days,
49 > because I don't entirely trust them).
50
51 This sounds like a request for the QA team. I tend to stay away
52 from most ~arch packages simply because most of our systems are
53 live production servers, but I'd be happy to test-drive new ebuilds
54 of vpopmail if it would help get new versions into the stable tree
55 faster.
56
57 Cheers,
58 --
59 Casey Allen Shobe | http://casey.shobe.info
60 cshobe@×××××××××××××.com | cell 425-443-4653
61 AIM & Yahoo: SomeLinuxGuy | ICQ: 1494523
62 SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list