From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 21:08:11
1 On 07/02/17 12:00 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 07/02/17 08:27 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> The thread wasn't about discouraging IUSE defaults, rather to decide
6 >>> when they are appropriate. You cannot omit "pkginternal" from USE_ORDER,
7 >>> because you will break all of the packages whose defaults are either
8 >>> critical to the package, or prevent a REQUIRED_USE conflict.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> OK, can we all decide out of this thread, that if any package is
12 >> enabling critical functionality via IUSE-defaults (or rather, IUSE
13 >> defaults alone), that this be addressed through package.use.force in
14 >> profiles OR through removal of the flag?
15 >
16 > No.
19 Do we need to define "critical functionality" first, then?
23 >> That at least seems like a positive first step to helping address
24 >> Michael's concerns, and should generally help all end-users.
27 > It only helps users who want to manually enable every single feature
28 > they use with an otherwise-minimal configuration.
29
30 Actually the way I see it, it helps support a USE="-*" case by not
31 disabling something that, although enabled via IUSE-defaults, probably
32 shouldn't be a flag (or should only be disable'able on certain
33 platforms or profiles)
34
35 Example -- USE="jit" on mozilla packages (prior it to being removed
36 completely, that is, which started with 51.0). That flag was
37 IUSE-default-enabled, but realistically it should have probably been
38 package.use.force'd except on platforms (ia64,etc) and profiles
39 (hardened) where it doesn't work or provide what is expected from
40 users of those profiles.