From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 17:01:03
1 On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/02/17 08:27 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The thread wasn't about discouraging IUSE defaults, rather to decide
5 >> when they are appropriate. You cannot omit "pkginternal" from USE_ORDER,
6 >> because you will break all of the packages whose defaults are either
7 >> critical to the package, or prevent a REQUIRED_USE conflict.
10 > OK, can we all decide out of this thread, that if any package is
11 > enabling critical functionality via IUSE-defaults (or rather, IUSE
12 > defaults alone), that this be addressed through package.use.force in
13 > profiles OR through removal of the flag?
14
15 No.
18 > That at least seems like a positive first step to helping address
19 > Michael's concerns, and should generally help all end-users.
22 It only helps users who want to manually enable every single feature
23 they use with an otherwise-minimal configuration.
24
25 If you want to create a minimal profile feel free, and if you want to
26 propose some way for everybody to have their cake and eat it too
27 without maintainers manually maintaining per-package flags in
28 profiles, that is fine as well. However, I think your proposal to use
29 IUSE defaults only for REQUIRED_USE conflicts is a bad one.
32 Rich