From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE=desktop-file request
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 21:30:09
1 On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM, tot-to <gentoo-dev.list@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > It would be great to make the intallation of desktop-files optional,
4 > but I mostly concerned about the dependency on
5 > dev-util/desktop-file-utils...
6 >
7 > I think such dependency should be either removed, because it's not
8 > really required or at least be optional.
9
10 Most of the packages you referenced inherit the gnome2 eclass, which
11 inherits the xdg eclass, which adds a DEPEND on desktop-file-utils.
12
13 Technically that should mean that it is fine to uninstall
14 desktop-file-utils after building most of these packages, because it
15 is only needed at build time. However, I imagine that if an xdg
16 eclass function is called which uses these utilities the package build
17 will fail if you just stick it in package.provided.
18
19 If this were purely about installing the desktop files themselves I'd
20 say to just use the install mask. I think you could debate whether it
21 is OK to pull in desktop-file-utils. That package is just 4 binaries
22 and their manpages/docs, and of course the runtime dependency of glib.
23
24 I'm not sure it is really worth trying to control this via a USE flag
25 for such a light dependency. However, strictly speaking this is an
26 optional build-time dependency, so it probably could be controlled by
27 flag. I'm not so keen on making the build-time behavior automagic
28 based on whether the package happens to be installed and then spamming
29 elog on every package that uses the xdg eclass to let you know that
30 you could manually install that package to get your desktop files
31 back.
32
33 I'd have to check but I suspect that portage hangs onto build-time
34 dependencies by default, probably so that you're not uninstalling them
35 and reinstalling them anytime you do anything. Strictly speaking,
36 however, it would be safe to depclean anything that is only a
37 build-time dependency (with the understanding that you're going to be
38 rebuilding it every time it is needed).
41 Rich