From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 17:19:43
1 On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:44:03 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'll admit this has been a bit of an emotional thread for me. I think
5 > my frustration comes from the fact that it seems like the whole reason
6 > that eudev exists is because people really strongly believe that
7 > systemd isn't the right way to go, and yet those same people don't
8 > seem to realize that others might feel just as strongly that eudev
9 > isn't the right way to go.
12 I started the replies with a simple +1, and that I had switched to
13 eudev... No, "Down with the evil systemd.borg" comments
14
15 As one of the few huge threads that I have been reading. It is you
16 that has been taking this thread more in the direction of something
17 akin to a preacher shouting we're all going to burn in hell for even
18 considering switching the default. While you were obviously more
19 emotional, Anthony was very calmly, and clearly refuting many of your
20 statements.
23 > Surely anybody suggesting switching to eudev as the default
24 > virtual/udev provider had to have realized that this would create a
25 > huge controversy.
28 BUT WHY DOES it have to be!!!!!
29
30 Why can't we as a group simply respond to something like this with a
31 simple +1, -1 and a few pros/cons
32
33 Why must it become yet another shouting match. And I'm sorry to have to
34 tell you this, but you have been leading the charge in that direction.
37 > Even if standalone udev is a dead-end (something that is speculation
38 > at this point), it isn't like the code that exists today will suddenly
39 > stop working. Worst case we just have to change the default at a
40 > later point in time.
41 >
42 > Even just kicking the can down the road has a lot of advantages:
43 > 1. Everything works fine today.
44
45 yes
46
47 > 2. We don't know for sure that it will ever stop working.
48
49 no, we don't
50
51 > 3. Deferring a decision means we don't have to wage a huge battle
52 > over which way the decision ought to go.
53
54 As I pointed out above, you seem to be leading the battle charge.
55
56 Why couldn't you have simply replied "-1 I use systemd like most other
57 distros" and "It works for me as is" and leave it at that.
58
59 > 4. If we do have to make a decision in the future, we'll have more
60 > information to act on.
63 put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing today... tsk, tsk, tsk
64
65 IT IS A SIMPLE POLL of the possibility of switching the default VIRTUAL
66 we were suppose to be talking about/voting on!!!!
70 Sorry everyone for a little shouting of my own.
71 --
72 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>