From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:29:13
1 On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why must it become yet another shouting match. And I'm sorry to have to
4 > tell you this, but you have been leading the charge in that direction.
7 Fair enough. I'll admit that this has been a lot of venting for me,
8 and an unnecessary distraction for everybody else.
9
10 Ulm's post and discussion with xiaomiao on #gentoo-dev have made me
11 reconsider my attitude towards this.
12
13 The reality is that this change really only impacts non-systemd users,
14 so the question really should be what provides the best experience for
15 these users. I think there are legitimate arguments for either udev
16 or eudev from that standpoint, but I think we need to view them
17 through the lens of what is better for those who would prefer not to
18 use systemd (and that isn't limited to openrc, though I don't know
19 that this distinction matters). For those who prefer to use systemd
20 it is a moot point.
21
22 To ulm's point virtual/dev-manager probably should be a part of
23 @system (even if the provider is only the minimal static device nodes)
24 - a posix system really isn't usable without anything in /dev.
25 Whichever provider is the default for that virtual might be a good
26 topic of discussion, but it is not a true dependency for this
27 decision, and I should not make it into one.
28
29 I still think we'd be well-served to get service managers out of
30 @system as well - another good topic of discussion, but again not a
31 true dependency for this decision.
32
33 Gentoo is and has always been about choice. That is something I will
34 always support.
35
36 Personally this has been an area of frustration for me. I get that
37 many have come to Gentoo as a refuge from systemd (as well as other
38 things). I think it is a good thing that we can offer them that
39 choice, and I've always supported eudev having a home in Gentoo for
40 that reason.
41
42 However, I really do think that systemd largely represents the future
43 for linux distros. It will of course evolve over time, and perhaps
44 some day it will be replaced, but I think that what it changes into is
45 going to look a lot more like systemd than the things that came
46 before. I don't think we really do ourselves a service by clinging to
47 the old ways, and I don't think avoiding systemd as either a default
48 or a recommended configuration really improves our reputation or the
49 user experience.
50
51 And that is the frustration that caused me to lash out a bit on this
52 topic. However, this really isn't appropriate. This isn't holding
53 back systemd, and doesn't really have anything to do with systemd at
54 all. This is about making Gentoo better for people who have made the
55 choice not to use systemd, and that isn't something any of us should
56 be holding back. If I want to make things better for systemd users
57 there are plenty of areas that I could better invest this energy.
58
59 So, thanks for bearing with me.
62 Rich