From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 23:47:52
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 02/09/2016 10:29 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >>
8 >> Why must it become yet another shouting match. And I'm sorry to
9 >> have to tell you this, but you have been leading the charge in
10 >> that direction.
13 > Fair enough. I'll admit that this has been a lot of venting for
14 > me, and an unnecessary distraction for everybody else.
15
16 I don't mind accepting part of the responsibility on that front,
17 either. I made a few comments that were a bit knee-jerky. Now that
18 you've clarified your viewpoint I can understand where you come from.
19 >
20 > Ulm's post and discussion with xiaomiao on #gentoo-dev have made
21 > me reconsider my attitude towards this.
22 >
23 > The reality is that this change really only impacts non-systemd
24 > users, so the question really should be what provides the best
25 > experience for these users. I think there are legitimate arguments
26 > for either udev or eudev from that standpoint, but I think we need
27 > to view them through the lens of what is better for those who would
28 > prefer not to use systemd (and that isn't limited to openrc, though
29 > I don't know that this distinction matters). For those who prefer
30 > to use systemd it is a moot point.
31 >
32 > To ulm's point virtual/dev-manager probably should be a part of
33 > @system (even if the provider is only the minimal static device
34 > nodes) - a posix system really isn't usable without anything in
35 > /dev. Whichever provider is the default for that virtual might be a
36 > good topic of discussion, but it is not a true dependency for this
37 > decision, and I should not make it into one.
38 >
39 > I still think we'd be well-served to get service managers out of
40 > @system as well - another good topic of discussion, but again not
41 > a true dependency for this decision.
42 >
43 > Gentoo is and has always been about choice. That is something I
44 > will always support.
45 >
46 > Personally this has been an area of frustration for me. I get
47 > that many have come to Gentoo as a refuge from systemd (as well as
48 > other things). I think it is a good thing that we can offer them
49 > that choice, and I've always supported eudev having a home in
50 > Gentoo for that reason.
51 >
52 > However, I really do think that systemd largely represents the
53 > future for linux distros. It will of course evolve over time, and
54 > perhaps some day it will be replaced, but I think that what it
55 > changes into is going to look a lot more like systemd than the
56 > things that came before. I don't think we really do ourselves a
57 > service by clinging to the old ways, and I don't think avoiding
58 > systemd as either a default or a recommended configuration really
59 > improves our reputation or the user experience.
60
61 I see systemd as the future of user-centric distros, and perhaps
62 dev-centric ones as well, as a way to get the internals out of the
63 equation and get people to focus on higher levels of the stack.
64 However, it being the future doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a
65 *good* future. I see it leading to less and less control over the
66 lower parts of the software stack, and that will slow the pace of
67 innovation and possible steps forward. Inertia will set in, and those
68 who've put themselves in the comfortable position as the leads of
69 these projects will have considerable influence over the experience of
70 GNU/Linux users. Despite our differences in preferences, I don't think
71 either of us wants a situation where a single project owns so much of
72 the problem space.
73
74 We shouldn't be throwing out old ways just because they're old, just
75 as we shouldn't be adopting the new shiny just because it's modern. I
76 may refuse to use systemd, but if someone actually needs to make use
77 of it, their company needs it to do X or Y, it's a highly multi-seat
78 environment, or whatever else, then use the right tool for the job.
79 The main issue I've always had with systemd and its followers is their
80 insistence that it's THE tool, right for ALL jobs, that anything else
81 is inferior. Such a statement is completely dependent on one's use
82 cases and software requirements. I'm not saying you've asserted this;
83 just clarifying a little bit of my own position.
84
85 Regarding our reputation, I'm not really sure where that's relevant.
86 To some degree it's important to retain and attract users, to make our
87 work more worthwhile and to help expose more bugs so we can fix them.
88 But who's actually going to complain that, say, Gentoo ships with
89 OpenRC and eudev, but can be changed to 'pure' systemd at install
90 time, complete with a profile that sets all the bells and whistles for
91 them? If anything, we support OpenRC and systemd and pretty much
92 ignore everything else. To my knowledge we don't even mention runit,
93 minit, or other options in the handbook. I think the only people who
94 can rightfully complain about lack of attention or coverage are those
95 who are using these lesser-known or lesser-used systems. Maybe we can
96 get some users to step up to the plate and contribute to the
97 documentation.
98 >
99 > And that is the frustration that caused me to lash out a bit on
100 > this topic. However, this really isn't appropriate. This isn't
101 > holding back systemd, and doesn't really have anything to do with
102 > systemd at all. This is about making Gentoo better for people who
103 > have made the choice not to use systemd, and that isn't something
104 > any of us should be holding back. If I want to make things better
105 > for systemd users there are plenty of areas that I could better
106 > invest this energy.
107 >
108 > So, thanks for bearing with me.
109 >
110 Good points, I agree. Thanks for being willing to see the other side,
111 and dealing with my offhanded remarks. It seems we've reached a pretty
112 good understanding.
113
114 - --
115 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
116 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
117 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6