From: Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:26:34
1 Quoting Greg KH (2013-03-11 22:19:55)
2 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:51:17PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > >
4 > > If you have any concerns/objections to the policy which was outlined,
5 > > which includes a mandatory requirement to sign a contributor license
6 > > agreement and an option to also sign an assignment-like document based
7 > > on the FSFe FLA, please speak up this week.
8 >
9 > I've already said this before, but I guess I need to say it again:
10 >
11 > If a contributor license is required to be signed, I'll have to
12 > stop contributing to Gentoo.
13 >
14 > Other developers will be also affected, and you will find it hard to
15 > attract new developers who happen to work for companies that forbid
16 > their employees to sign these types of things (a _very_ common thing in
17 > the US, I have yet to work for a company in the past 20+ years that
18 > would have allowed this without going through the company's legal
19 > council for approval, a usually very difficult thing to achieve for a
20 > single developer.)
21
22 I am wondering if even things like Fedora Project Contributor Agreement[1] would
23 cause trouble for you and people in similar situation. I.e. FPCA is not a
24 copyright agreement as such, it's just setting default license for project for
25 contributions without license and provides a set of licenses that are OK for
26 project. In Fedora's case MIT was chosen as default for code and CC-BY-SA-3.0
27 for content. I am also assuming FPCA-style agreement wouldn't really solve
28 whatever issues are to be solved with optional assignment policy but who
29 knows...
30
31 I myself do not care much for copyright assignment policies even though I have
32 no legal problem with it per se.
33
34 [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Fedora_Project_Contributor_Agreement
38 Stanislav Ochotnicky