From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing support for mercurial repos in repositories.xml
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:50:49
1 On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 07:59:46 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm against dumb timeouts. Good timeout = die if nothing happens for T.
5 > Bad timeout = die if process doesn't finish for T (yet it may still be
6 > doing something).
7
8 Could you perhaps adjust it so that when the timeout limit is exceeded,
9 the sync is aborted, and the sync status of that repository is flagged
10 as "bad", and notifies you somehow to fix it manually at your leisure,
11 but otherwise ceases to impede the progress of all the other
12 repositories?
13
14 And if you're worried that a sync interruption midway could cause a
15 dirty state, maybe you could do an rsync trick where mercurial repos
16 are rsynced into a sandbox location, and then only rsynced back into
17 place on success?
18
19 This process lets you go "sure, it may be doing something, but it took
20 too long anyway, so we'll let somebody with brains work it out and
21 pretend it was broken in the interim"