From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing support for mercurial repos in repositories.xml
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:21:24
1 On Fri, 2018-09-28 at 01:50 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 07:59:46 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm against dumb timeouts. Good timeout = die if nothing happens for T.
6 > > Bad timeout = die if process doesn't finish for T (yet it may still be
7 > > doing something).
8 >
9 > Could you perhaps adjust it so that when the timeout limit is exceeded,
10 > the sync is aborted, and the sync status of that repository is flagged
11 > as "bad", and notifies you somehow to fix it manually at your leisure,
12 > but otherwise ceases to impede the progress of all the other
13 > repositories?
14 >
15 > And if you're worried that a sync interruption midway could cause a
16 > dirty state, maybe you could do an rsync trick where mercurial repos
17 > are rsynced into a sandbox location, and then only rsynced back into
18 > place on success?
19 >
20 > This process lets you go "sure, it may be doing something, but it took
21 > too long anyway, so we'll let somebody with brains work it out and
22 > pretend it was broken in the interim"
23
24 No.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny