From: Vincent Launchbury <vincent@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:08:26
1 Greg KH wrote:
2 > And note, _I_ placed those images in the kernel image, after consulting
3 > lawyers about this issue, so it's not like I don't know what I am
4 > talking about here.
5
6 I'm not questioning whether it's legal to distribute non-free firmware
7 alongside the GPL. I'm merely saying that the firmware _is_ non-free,
8 which should be reflected by the ebuild licenses.
9
10 > So it's a pointless effort.
11
12 To you maybe, but it's important to some. Note that updating the
13 licenses would only affect those with strict ACCEPT_LICENSE settings
14 anyway. I don't understand why you'd oppose the change.