From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 06:14:20
1 Walter Dnes posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:19:13 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Note that a fork will have to be be "bug-compatable" to Redhat's
4 > version, just like DR-DOS had to be bug-compatable to MS-DOS, way back
5 > when. And what happens when that "compatability" requires not just
6 > systemd and dbus but pulseaudio and binary syslogs and whatever else the
7 > Redhat developers decree?
8
9 FWIW... in my web wanderings I came across a discussion (on G+ I think)
10 where, I believe it was Ted T'so mentioned talking to one of the RHEL
11 product engineers... and they're not entirely happy with all the desktop
12 stuff, binary logs, etc the combined udev/systemd is pulling in and doing
13 these days, either! After all, they're supporting a product for
14 something like 10 years, that is often used in an enterprise server
15 environment where the full desktop may not actually be installed -- or at
16 least that's the way it *WAS*. They could ignore pulse-audio in that
17 regard, because such servers often didn't have/need sound anyway. But
18 they're not too happy about this whole dragging in the whole desktop
19 thing, NOR about potentially having to support "the latest hot fad"
20 someone dreamed up (even if that someone's actually a RH employee) for a
21 decade!
22
23 Remember hal? They're still dealing with that!
24
25 Anyway, it's generally accounted to Red Hat's credit that they don't
26 interfere too much with the development policies of the projects they
27 sponsor people to work on, but that doesn't necessarily mean even Red
28 Hat's particularly happy with said policies!
29
30 Based on that discussion, I'd say that while Red Hat will hopefully
31 continue its in general non-interference with projects it sponsors
32 policies, there's at least SOME possibility that they'll either work
33 around the problem in their coming releases with patches then available
34 to the community, or interfere albeit in an arguably "least harm"
35 fashion, by eventually mandating at least branches (from which they'd
36 pull), that at least make some of these sorts of dependencies optional.
37
38 Or maybe they'll actually sponsor a fork too, if they have to. But I
39 doubt it'll come to that.
40
41 Regardless, coming RHEL releases may not end up being as drastically
42 integrated in this regard as the current trend, which is after all now at
43 the Fedora level not RHEL level, would indicate. It DOES remain to be
44 seen, but that thread gave me at least SOME hope that the ENTIRE
45 (Gnu/)Linux world (other than Gentoo and Debian, maybe) hasn't gone mad,
46 as well as an explicit awareness that Red Hat is now a large enough
47 company (just hitting a billion a year, right?) that like many large
48 companies, the right hand and the left hand, separated into their own
49 departments, may be working toward not entirely compatible ends.
50
51 It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, when the big dollars
52 feeding red hat come in conflict with some of the policies of some of
53 their sponsored projects and employees, corporate hands-off policy or no
54 corporate hands-off policy.
55
56 But one thing's for sure, there's money there, and where there's that
57 sort of money involved, one way or another, the code usually "appears".
58 So all is not YET lost, regarding "insane" dependencies at the base udev
59 level.
64 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman