From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 01:20:54
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 07:37:49AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > What I see as the most likely thing to lead to change is if/when
4 > GnomeOS actually starts to exist. When you can't run Gnome without
5 > systemd I'd expect to see a lot more Gentoo users running it. Then
6 > again, if Gnome jumps the shark, maybe not.
7
8 Even GNOME 2 seems to depend on udev nowadays, specifically the gvfs
9 and evdev code.
10
11 And Google's Chromium pulls in udev... and dbus, and elf-utils, and
12 libusb!!! This is not the Chrome-OS on their "Chrome-books", but the
13 linux web-browser build. We all know how well the browser-as-an-OS idea
14 worked for AOL/Netscape... !NOT.
15
16 Note that a fork will have to be be "bug-compatable" to Redhat's
17 version, just like DR-DOS had to be bug-compatable to MS-DOS, way back
18 when. And what happens when that "compatability" requires not just
19 systemd and dbus but pulseaudio and binary syslogs and whatever else the
20 Redhat developers decree?
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications