From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:38:50
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > And
3 > by 2-3 years out, if Linux/FLOSS history is any guide, the whole
4 > ecosystem will look different, and we'll have a whole list of new changes
5 > and challenges to worry about,
6
7 Agreed. I suspect the status quo will remain in place for a while.
8 If somebody forks udev and a bunch of distros switch to the fork, that
9 could shake things up, although that could get really messy if the two
10 projects start to diverge since we'd need compatibility layers for
11 packages that use udev since either might be installed (only to the
12 extent that they diverge).
13
14 What I see as the most likely thing to lead to change is if/when
15 GnomeOS actually starts to exist. When you can't run Gnome without
16 systemd I'd expect to see a lot more Gentoo users running it. Then
17 again, if Gnome jumps the shark, maybe not.
18
19 In any case, seems best to just take the hurdles as they come.
20
21 Rich