From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:15:49
1 Michael Orlitzky posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:22:10 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 01/24/2013 08:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Meanwhile, my vote is for a NON-FATAL pkg_pretend warning. That gets
6 >> run at the beginning when people are still likely to be watching, so
7 >> should be good enough. Beyond that, gentoo can't keep the obtuse from
8 >> ignoring the warnings, so if it breaks they get to keep the pieces, and
9 >> RESOLVED/ READTHEWARNINGS to any resulting bugs.
10 >
11 > They're not warnings, they're "we just broke your system, hope you
12 > weren't doing anything tonight!" A boulder with WARNING: FALLING ROCKS
13 > spray-painted on the bottom.
14
15 But a pkg_pretend warning would happen BEFORE the breakage, normally at
16 --pretend/--ask time, when people are still paying attention. So it
17 wouldn't be a boulder with the warning posted on the bottom, it would be
18 a sign (which retaining the analogy, could be painted on the SIDE of a
19 boulder) posted a kilometre ahead.
20
21 That's the purpose for which pkg_pretend was created, and AFAIK, the
22 purpose for which it is used, tho there's a limitation on the EAPI it can
23 be used with, since it didn't appear in early EAPIs.
24
25 > Better to spare the innocents, and for the people who set
26 > I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=y in make.conf, we can create
27 > RESOLVED:I_THOUGHT_YOU_KNEW.
28
29 The thing is, if we use it so much that most folks have that variable
30 set, then we've defeated the purpose and just executed an exercise in
31 futility.
32
33 That said, as should be plain from previous posts, I'm certainly of the
34 opinion that once we have the warning, it's no longer our responsibility,
35 and people who ignore it get to keep the pieces. In fact, I'm on record
36 as being of the opinon that if such a case were to happen reasonably
37 early in their gentoo experience (as it did back in the day when
38 baselayout shipped /etc/fstab and some people ended up learning the hard
39 way to actually pay attention to etc-updates as a result), ultimately,
40 we'd have fewer bugs of this sort, because people would quickly learn
41 that they had /better/ pay attention... or find another distro if they
42 weren't willing to do so!
43
44 So yes, RESOLVED/READTHEWARNINGS or the like could be a viable bug
45 status, indeed. =:^)
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman