From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 02:22:21
1 On 01/24/2013 08:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 >
3 > Now I've chosen to set that using package.env so it applies only to glibc,
4 > but I imagine many users have it set in their make.conf, because a lot of
5 > packages use it, and they were forced to set it for one or another at
6 > some point.
7
8 Using package.env is preferable, since it basically exists in lieu of
9 prefixing every environment variable with $PN. But I don't particularly
10 care about the details. I was just curious if there are real cases where
11 the config check would do harm.
12
13 If there's no downside (i.e. no one will notice, except the people whose
14 machines would be broken), then the whole debate is stupid.
17 > Thus, adding the package name to enforce per-package
18 > I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING seems a good idea.
19 >
20 > Or perhaps use the usual I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING var, but instead of just
21 > checking that it's set, check that it's set to the specific package name.
24 > Meanwhile, my vote is for a NON-FATAL pkg_pretend warning. That gets run
25 > at the beginning when people are still likely to be watching, so should
26 > be good enough. Beyond that, gentoo can't keep the obtuse from ignoring
27 > the warnings, so if it breaks they get to keep the pieces, and RESOLVED/
28 > READTHEWARNINGS to any resulting bugs.
29
30 They're not warnings, they're "we just broke your system, hope you
31 weren't doing anything tonight!" A boulder with WARNING: FALLING ROCKS
32 spray-painted on the bottom.
33
34 Better to spare the innocents, and for the people who set
35 I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=y in make.conf, we can create
36 RESOLVED:I_THOUGHT_YOU_KNEW.