From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:39:43
1 Michael Orlitzky posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:55:46 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 01/24/13 13:25, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> a fatal die in pkg_pretend could be circumvented by an environment
7 >>> variable such as ${PN}_I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING being set. Just a
8 >>> thought.
9 >>
10 >> If we're going to do this I'd definitely have the ${PN} bit as you
11 >> suggested. Otherwise everybody will just set it in make.conf and the
12 >> feature will be pointless. Then we'll yell at users because they
13 >> disabled the feature that normally just tends to break half their
14 >> builds but this time by some miracle would have actually prevented a
15 >> problem.
16 >
17 > Are there really that many ways that this could cause false positives?
18 > (Not that I'm against the $PN prefix, just curious).
19
20 It's worth noting that for example, glibc uses I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING to
21 bypass its don't-break-the-system-by-downgrading-glibc check.
22
23 Unfortunately, due to environment saving and because I have
24 FEATURES=buildpkg set, that means I have to set it at build-time, in
25 ordered to have it in the glibc binpkg for the PREVIOUS version (the one
26 I'd be downgrading to), in ordered to avoid a needless rebuild despite my
27 having the binpkg I was JUST using until the upgrade and thus KNOW to be
28 working, right at hand!
29
30 Now I've chosen to set that using package.env so it applies only to glibc,
31 but I imagine many users have it set in their make.conf, because a lot of
32 packages use it, and they were forced to set it for one or another at
33 some point.
34
35 Thus, adding the package name to enforce per-package
36 I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING seems a good idea.
37
38 Or perhaps use the usual I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING var, but instead of just
39 checking that it's set, check that it's set to the specific package name.
42 Meanwhile, my vote is for a NON-FATAL pkg_pretend warning. That gets run
43 at the beginning when people are still likely to be watching, so should
44 be good enough. Beyond that, gentoo can't keep the obtuse from ignoring
45 the warnings, so if it breaks they get to keep the pieces, and RESOLVED/
46 READTHEWARNINGS to any resulting bugs.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman