From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: have portage be quiet by default
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:51:27
1 On 11/10/2011 10:59 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Zac Medico posted on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:11:38 -0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
5 >> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
6 >> default for newbies.
7 >
8 > What's the difference in output format between --quiet, and the output
9 > one gets with parallel portage jobs (not just MAKEOPTS but emerge-jobs,
10 > too) turned on (my default these days)?
11 >
12 > If it's the same as with parallel emerge-jobs, yeah, quiet emerges by
13 > default makes sense to me.
14
15 It's identical.
16
17 > But please do at least einfo the change, and what to do to get back to
18 > non-quiet by default if desired. Someone mentioned a news item. I'm not
19 > sure it warrants that, but certainly an einfo, and if a news item will
20 > prevent needless bugs and is thought to be worth the required
21 > bureaucracy, I've no problem with it.
22
23 Yeah, I think a new item is a bit too much. I'll mention it in the
24 ebuild ChangeLog, the RELEASE-NOTES, and I'll also trigger an elog
25 message when upgrading from earlier versions.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac