From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:54:34
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, 30 May 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Yeah... this is why I was asking about access to infra to test the
6 > > conversion; so far, I haven't had any replies, though.
7 >
8 > A mock conversion would probably help with creating
9 > procedures/docs/etc as well. It is nice to say that we're "just going
10 > to use git" but I think everybody has a slightly different picture of
11 > how that is going to work.
12
13 I recommend having a smallish set of willing alpha/beta testers for
14 this. This usually helps with some of the near-edge cases. You'll
15 still find a thousand other bugs once things go live for
16 everybody. Still, it turns a million into a thousand. It also
17 gives you slightly more realistic load test.
18
19 > If we could set up an "official unofficial" portage tree in git based
20 > on a one-time migration (maybe refreshing it from time to time) that
21 > could be a sandbox used to work things out, and it would then be
22 > replaced with the official tree. When the official migration comes
23 > along we'd already be experts in doing it.
24
25 This is a good idea that goes nicely with what I wrote above.
26
27 > All we need to do is execute the migration, and just not point the
28 > rsync generation process at it. Maybe it won't be perfectly right at
29 > first, and that would basically be the point of doing it. Devs could
30 > update tools to work against it, and the docs could be written
31 > alongside.
32
33 The scientist in me wonders how big the dent in productivity
34 will be, actually. After all, there's going to be a lot of people
35 that will hammer the new setup just because of the New! Shiny!
36 appeal.
37
38 Regards,
39 Tobias