From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why masks are being used for security issues instead of GLSA?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:47:38
1 25.09.2014 16:42, Andrew Savchenko пишет:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > many packages in tree are masked due to security issues instead of
5 > issuing GLSA for them. Why? At this moment I counted 56 such
6 > packages in package.mask.
7 >
8 > Some of these packages have GLSAs issued (e.g. nethack and friends)
9 > and have no fixes, so this is understandable. But most packages are
10 > just masked "due to security bugs", I recently stumbled upon:
11 > ppp, mariadb, mysql, vlc...
12 >
13 > Why such masking is bad? Because it undermines the whole idea of
14 > GLSA as a sole security provider for Gentoo users.
15 >
16 > I manage about 50 Gentoo boxes (with more than 10 unique setups)
17 > and I'm not an update monkey to update them weekly. My usual
18 > workflow is to emerge all world somewhere within 6 month and 1
19 > year, but to install security updates regularly and critical ones
20 > ASAP. GLSA serves this purpose well (Yes, I understood that
21 > security team can't embrace all issues so some extra lookup for
22 > CVEs is needed as well). But security-masked packages undermine
23 > such approach, because they're not listed in glsa-check -l affected
24 > and message about masked packages doesn't appear in elog, only on
25 > top of build log, which is likely to be lost.
28 I think you are get some things wrong - they are masked not instead of
29 GLSA, but prior to it.
30
31 Let me explain the process on behalf on my security hat - before
32 releasing GLSA we should rid of all vulnerable versions in tree.
33 However, sometimes it leads to problems with migration on new
34 versions(usually happens with complex packages, for example OpenLDAP).
35 So, to mark that some versions are really not for ordinary users we can
36 security mask them. After that - we do not need to remove them, just
37 keep an eye that they would not be unmasked. The next step for these
38 versions is only to be removed from tree, after all issues with
39 dependant packages will be fixed.
40
41 And then - we can proceed with making GLSA. Masking of package does not
42 replace making GLSA and never was!
43
44 If you are claim that GLSA making process is too slow, well... We have
45 vast amount of security issues and not many people who handles them, so
46 - here we are...
47
48 As for ppp, i masked it, because there are some packages in tree that
49 hardcodes usage for specific versions of ppp and they should be patched
50 BEFORE vulnerable versions of ppp will leave tree.
51
52 I want to notice, that such practice was established a long time ago,
53 from the very beginning of Gentoo Security team and i do not think that
54 we should change something in it
57 Best regards, Sergey Popov
58 Gentoo developer
59 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
60 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead