From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:46:43
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm not that worried about the big (multi-package) commits, as it does
3 > make sense we're going to have difficulty and lots of potential
4 > conflicts there, but aren't we going to run into this issue just with
5 > multiple people committing separate single-package commits at the same
6 > time??
7
8 So, if you require fast-forward commits (which I think is sensible),
9 then all commits collide.
10
11 The other factor here is the time to run repoman. Running a repoman
12 scan on a single package only takes tens of seconds, which means we're
13 ok as long as we don't do commits every few seconds.
14
15 But yes, you're right that commits of unrelated packages can
16 potentially collide.
17
18 The issue with something like kde is that the stablereqs can involve
19 100+ packages in several categories. Either you run repoman scan
20 against all of them individually, or you run it at the tree level, and
21 either way it is going to take a while to run (and if it is
22 disk-bound, running in parallel probably won't help much).
23
24 The reality is that a kde stabilization is not a huge risk. The
25 packages are fairly contained, and they aren't system packages so if
26 something does go wrong recovery is generally easy. I've yet to hear
27 of something like this going badly. I think the worst I've seen is
28 the odd package getting missed on the first pass.
29
30 In any case, I don't have any hard numbers to prove that requiring
31 repoman scans on every commit is a bad idea. However, I think that it
32 has a large potential to make larger-scale changes difficult. It
33 would make a lot more sense if we had a release-oriented strategy,
34 even if releases were hourly/daily/etc.
37 Rich