From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Changes to the way Java packages are built
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:53:30
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted 44958E4A.6010000@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:32:58 -0400:
3
4 > May I ask, because I'm very confused, wtf is freedomware?
5 >
6 > I can only assume you mean oss/free java?
7
8 As distinct from "freeware", and also known as Free or Libre Software,
9 libre being translated free as in freedom (where freeware in common usage
10 means free as in beer, or sometimes free as in deliberately public domain,
11 neither one of which is appropriate here), thus libre software ==
12 libreware == freedomware (and as opposed to slaveryware aka
13 another-is-your-master-ware, xref the sig).
14
15 Some here don't care. That's fine -- for them. It's a bit bigger
16 than that for me, but they don't ask me to run what is to me slaveryware,
17 and I won't ask them to give up what is to them "convenienceware".
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list