From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Changes to the way Java packages are built
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:39:20
1 > Some here don't care. That's fine -- for them. It's a bit bigger
2 > than that for me, but they don't ask me to run what is to me slaveryware,
3 > and I won't ask them to give up what is to them "convenienceware".
7 I certaintly support your right to choose such a standard for yourself, however I don't think the basic premise that "if you use the program, he is your master" actually has any significance in regards to "slaveryware" versus "freedomware," at least as far as most people are concerned.
8
9 The vast majority of "average" people don't have the skill or in most cases, the desire to examine, modify, or understand the inner workings of the software they use.
10
11 So whatever it is that makes "freedomware" free in your opinion, has little impact for the vast majority of users. For them it's still someone else who is the "master" of the program. It really makes little difference exactly who that some one else is.
12
13 > --
14 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
15 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
16 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
20 Regards,
21 Bob Young
22 Software Engineer
23 San Jose, CA.