From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:50:30
1 On Thursday 04 May 2006 14:21, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > If I might weigh in at this late stage:
5 >
6 > How did we end up here in the first place? Isn't the point of ~arch
7 > that we can put stuff here that might WELL be unstable? Sure, we'll get
8 > lots of "I set my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to ~arch and now my system is
9 > broken," messages, but if people are going to try ~arch, or Gentoo in
10 > general, despite warnings that it's "not for newbies" (and I have
11 > personal experience of this), we can't really stop them without turning
12 > the community into a fascist state, can we? Gentoo (like all projects)
13 > has a finite amount of developers, and if we spend to much time on
14 > ~arch then surely arch will suffer
15
16 Actually the testing keywords are not for unstable packages. If something
17 is unstable it must be masked. If we however want to test our packaging
18 we put it in ~arch. If something is in ~arch that means that it works for
19 the packager, but that your mileage may vary. ~arch may sometimes have
20 unexpected problems, especially involving migration from old versions to
21 new versions. Actually most time is spent on ~arch, as there is where
22 development happens. As a package is seen to be stable, then it gets
23 promoted to arch. This is just a change of the keyword. The developer
24 then goes on to newer versions of the package.
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer