From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:26:09
1 On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 05:15:28PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 29-03-2018 16:47:51 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > W dniu czw, 29.03.2018 o godzinie 09∶39 -0500, użytkownik William Hubbs
4 > > napisał:
5 > > > All,
6 > > >
7 > > > I just happened to notice the following warning from portage when
8 > > > bumping dhcpcd.
9 > > >
10 > > > > One or more empty directories installed to /var:
11 > > > > /var/lib/dhcpcd
12 > > > > If those directories need to be preserved, please make sure to create
13 > > > > or mark them for keeping using 'keepdir'. Future versions of Portage
14 > > > > will strip empty directories from installation image.
15 > > >
16 > > > If we are going to require emptty directories to be marked with
17 > > > keepdir, I think we should hard fail the emerge rather than quietly
18 > > > strip the empty directories. If we just strip the directories, this
19 > > > will, more than likely, lead to broken packages. In the case of dhcpcd,
20 > > > the upstream build system installs the /var/lib/dhcpcd directory, then
21 > > > dhcpcd writes to the directory.
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > Are you saying that dozens of packages should suddenly start failing
25 > > for users so that developers would feel more obliged to fix them?
26 > > Provided that the packages are still maintained, and it won't be
27 > > 'hey, we just made it impossible to install this package, maybe someone
28 > > will fix it one day'.
29 >
30 > I agree, packages shouldn't suddenly start failing. Not during install,
31 > not during runtime either. For changes like this EAPIs were invented.
32
33 Fabian has the right idea I think.
34
35 If we quietly strip away empty directories installed by upstream build
36 systems, there is a possibility we will cause runtime breakage. If we are
37 going to have breakage, then yes, I would rather it be at emerge time to
38 force us to fix it before runtime breakage hits users.
39
40 Thanks,
41
42 William